Friday, April 16, 2010

question of older pc games

can any one help me,if it is possible to play older pc games? I am looking to play games of the day of DOS and windows 95. There is nice amount of classical games on these systems(monkey island) , and I wish to play them....personally there is a game that I always wanted to play and it is theme park.so is there a solution, or i have to buy an old system with old software? they dont run on xp?question of older pc games
You could try using a DOS emulator, I obviously can't link to it or discuss it further here because of the forum rules but a search will pick it up. I've used it for a couple of years now and it great although not all games work.question of older pc games
Ehm.... Uhm..... DosBox... Uhm....
I can't imagine DOSbox being an issue here (unlike other illegal forms of emulation). While DOSbox is an emulator, it is not protected under the same statutes as videogame consoles, but we won't get in to that. DOSbox will probably work for your needs, but I find it hard to imagine you, or anyone else, not having an old rig and a Windows 95/98 install disc. If you don't, you can easily acquire both for less than $100. I got mine for $80 (my old rigs had been torn apart to supplement other computers). I actually have MS-DOS, trust me when I say that DOSbox is a woeful replacement.
If your going to play games like monkey island, get scummVM, it will let you run thoes games on any operating system, and even enhance the resolution.
[QUOTE=''YourChaosIsntMe'']I can't imagine DOSbox being an issue here (unlike other illegal forms of emulation). While DOSbox is an emulator, it is not protected under the same statutes as videogame consoles, but we won't get in to that. DOSbox will probably work for your needs, but I find it hard to imagine you, or anyone else, not having an old rig and a Windows 95/98 install disc. If you don't, you can easily acquire both for less than $100. I got mine for $80 (my old rigs had been torn apart to supplement other computers). I actually have MS-DOS, trust me when I say that DOSbox is a woeful replacement.[/QUOTE]DOSBox features some undeniable advantages on the extra PC:- it's free, $100 saved- it provides 100% accurate emulation, while the old PC doesn't guarantee it- it's just software, not another computer, so you save space in your house- it doesn't break like an old computer likely wouldI would try DOSBox first, then go for the old PC if the result is not satisfying.
Try DOSbox. It's well supported and the DOSbox website has plenty of useful info including a game compatability list, faq, forums etc.
having two pcs is not acceptable in my room specially that older pc's r bulky ang big...i am looking to play games between the era 94-2000...but what is scummVM?
ScummVM allows you to play old Lucas Arts adventure games.
and dosbox doesnt?
DOSBox is great for the games it actually works with, but that's by far not all! Also it drains a lot more power than the game would require in its natural environment, just like with any emulator but it's taken to new heights here in some cases.It's the best you can get for your purpose, but it's not as great as some people seem to think it is. It has great support though as far as I know so it's supporting more and more games and it's supporting them better and better. They are not some shady braggy guys claiming to have a cure-it-all but they actually have a pretty accurate list of games on their website that lists which games run how well and which games are more problematic. So you can check right there whether it works with your game or not.And in the end: A slightly (!) glitchy emulation is still better than none at all.
would any tell me if it the mac version of dosbox is inferior?

No comments:

Post a Comment